Monday, March 15, 2010

First they came- a revolutionary poem by Martin Niemoller

This is a popular poem which is attributed to the German Pastor Martin Niemoller. I find this truly revolutionary. It perfectly fits into our present context, especially Karnataka where we have witnessed a series of attacks on the Christians, Muslims, Women and Dalits. Its time to believe that 'silence is crime'. Hopefully this poem would motivate all these groups to come together and fight the divisive and hate ideology of the present government.

THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment